Fashion Designer Diaries #1: Recent Sewing Projects and Packing For Art School

 I move into my college dorm this Thursday! I'm super excited to get out of my boring hometown and into the city. This is my first time blogging from a laptop, and I like it so far.

    Fashion Designer Diaries is going to be a new series on my blog where I document my days as a fashion student. I'll share what goes on in my classes and daily student life, what fashion related happenings go down in the city, my personal projects, and whatever other fashion-related things I think of later down the line. Once I get settled in I want to make a post dedicated to the city's main shopping street. I've visited before but I haven't had the time to explore the half of it yet. It's lined with a variety of shops and restaurant that I can't wait to try. I visited this one shop (I can't remember the name of it) that was SO ME!! It was lined with girly designs and carried brands like LoveShackFancy and ForLoveAndLemons!!! I'm hoping blogging about that store will satiate my desire to buy from that store without actually having to buy from them. (I bought a skirt from them last time I was there. I had to stop myself from buying a LoveShackFancy skirt that I had been eyeing since I first saw it at the Miami botique because it was $100😭)

I've done all my dorm shopping. (I think. Lord knows I'll always forget something!!) I even DIY-ed some file holders and a trash can. I'll show my dorm in a dedicated post. I surprisingly managed to fit all my clothes into one suitcase, so I'm all packed save for a few things that I need to throw in the wash after writing this post.

Now that I've talked about college I want to tackle the main purpose of this blogpost. 

This morning I FINALLY caught up on taking photos for all the garments I've sewn recently and haven't blogged about.

The first is this himekaji / lolita pinafore dress! I'm not sure if it counts as himekaji or lolita because it's more of a himekaji silouette, but the fabric is definitely lolita! I got it off Spoonflower. The pattern is Simplicity 8671 view B. Here are some process photos:

I did want to label the photos with what steps they aligned with, however I've already packed the instructions away in an accordion folder I bought to hold my patterns, and I don't feel like digging it out right now.😅 
When it came time to sew the facings and the sleeve I became a little unsure, so I decided to wait till my next sewing class. This was my last sewing class. I'm sad to leave sewing class behind because I've been attending weekly for so long. In true "me" fashion I had to forget SOMETHING. And in this case it was the instructions. I remembered to bring the cookies, the brownies, the wires for my sewing machine, etc., but I just HAD to leave the instructions for my project back at home in the accordion folder. (I put the pattern pieces back inside the original packing but I couldn't fit the paper instructions back in. People who sew have this problem.) So I didn't exactly follow the insturctions when sewing the sleeve and facings, thus I wouldn't be able to label each picture with what step I was on. I also forgot to take progress photos because I was too busy enjoying the going away party the ladies (and guy) threw for me.
I'll miss sewing class!!!💗💗💗

(The photos are in order of when I took them, so they might be helpful to anyone who needs a reference for sewing this)

I didn't struggle as much as I thought I would with this project, which is a nice surprise. I did however struggle with the last minuet hemming of the skirt, which was an unpleasant surprise. It's hard to explain. When I was  nearing the end it was like my fabric wanted to fold over a third time. Not sure why that happened.

Before making the pinafore I created this high low skirt with three layers of fabric! It's so girly and amazing. I love the way it looks in these photos.. Working with tulle was a bit of a struggle, but it always is and unfortunately probably always will be. The garment construction was easy until I got to the waistband. I tried my best but I couldn't get all three layers of fabric to lay perfectly flat. I'd like to try remaking this skirt down the line. I also made the white top using the same pattern I used for the Valentine's Day top I sewed a while back. I experimented by adding a ruffle to the neckline. For some reason despite sewing the two bows the exact same way one ended up being rounder than the other. I was pretty upset about that. I'm not sure how much wear I'll get out of this top because my mom says it's too sheer. I also think this top got smaller after it got wet. I put the top on after getting out of the shower yesterday and when I went to take it off it had a horrible LARGE stain on the back!!! I'm not sure how that happened but I was able to remove the stain by absolutely drenching the top with water and scrubbing at it with a toothbrush. I left it on a towel on my porch to dry when suddenly the wether became bipolar. Within minuets the weather when from being sunny to absolutley THUNDERING!!! My Golden Retriever was shaking and crying!😭 My top got drenched and dirty, and would have been destroyed or swept away if my mother hadn't remembered it was sitting outside. It was still damp when I was rushing to get this photo taken and I swear the ruffle feels smaller. I might just consider this a prototype and make the ruffle bigger next time.

I've had this set done for a long time already. I just never got good photos wearing the skirt.

This tiered skirt is the second oldest of the items that I've needed to blog about. I haven't worn it at all because I need to make a top to go with it. I'm thinking of making something brown.

It's good to finally have all these things on my blog. I can't believe tomorrow is my last day at home before college. I feel like the feeling won't set in until I start moving stuff into my dorm.

Shoutout to my sewing buddy. I'll miss him dearly everyday.💛

Shoutout to the guy who kept putting his butt on my project too. I'll miss him.💚










 

Comments

Popular Posts